Samstag, 29. August 2015

Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go To The Party



For the start into the weekend, today a song by Courtney Barnett. She's an Australian based musician and released this year her first album Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit. It is one of these new records I grab when I don't know what kind of music I'm in the mood for. I like this record and the songs on it. Barnett, looking like a full member of skater gang plays songs that sound like a perfect mixture of grunge and folk. Sometimes her attitude reminds me to Patti Smith and the way she sings to Lou Reed but always in her very own style. Bluesy, surf-style bad-guitar folk.


1 Kommentar:

TheRobster hat gesagt…

Love love love Courtney Barnett. Brilliant songwriter, her lyrics in particular. They often make me smile, and occasionally 'wow'. There are not many out there who can do that.

What interests me most about your post is your comparison to Patti Smith and Lou Reed. That's never struck me before, but I think you're so right, particularly the Patti one. Courtney certainly has that androgynous look Patti adopted early on. Her lazy vocal style does have a Lou feel, but thats been a part of the slacker scene for many years (J Mascis, Steven Malkmus, etc).

Good piece Walter.