Donnerstag, 6. Oktober 2022

Handsworth Revolution

 


As a side effect of the punk movement was that many bands included reggae sounds into their own music and a British version of reggae came with a big wave to my ears. One of those were Steel Pulse a band named after a place where they came from, Handsworth a district of Birmingham. They released their debut album back in 1978 and were together with Black Uhuru compatible to many of my friends in these days. Their sound is different to roots reggae from Jamaica and not similar to the sound systems and the music that was was produced in many studios in Kingston but their legacy is that they introduced me to dive deeper in reggae and explore many artists that I wouldn't know without their inspiration. They also got big with their political attitude and forcing anti-racism themes - necessary in the late 70's.

Steel Pulse - Prodigal Son

Steel Pulse - Ku Klux Klan

6 Kommentare:

Charity Chic hat gesagt…

One of the greatest British reggae bandd

Khayem hat gesagt…

Excellent selection, Walter. My introduction to Steel Pulse was via a live version of Ku Klux Klan on the superb compilation Urgh! A Music War. Handsworth Revolution is a brilliant, brilliant album.

TheRobster hat gesagt…

What a record this is. I did a small piece over at my place some years ago in which I described it as a record that isn't particularly easy to listen to. I stand by that, but once you "get" it, you learn to love it.

C hat gesagt…

Great choices Walter, it is a great album.

Swiss Adam hat gesagt…

What they all said

John Medd hat gesagt…

I saw them support the Stranglers at Leicester De Montfort Hall in 1977. What a night.