Montag, 22. Mai 2023

Sixty Four

 


Today's my 64th birthday and I can't belief the day because nothing big changed during the last years except getting older. I think and feel younger than my date of birth tells me. There's no greater celebration going on today and I will meet another fellow who has his birthday today as well for a couple of pints with a few friends. There were many thoughts of what to feature today but nothing felt confident to me so I decided to check the dates in music history for May 22 and decided to name a few of the list.

2019 - Scottish musician Jake Black (The Very Reverend D. Wayne Love), died age 59. He was a member of Alabama 3 a very underrated band.


1988 - Prince scored his first UK No.1 album with 'Lovesexy.' The cover (based on a photo by Jean Baptiste Mondino) caused some controversy upon release as it depicts Prince in the nude. Some record stores refused to stock it or wrapped the album in black.

1988 - Billy Bragg were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and 'She's Leaving Home.' The two Beatles songs had been recorded for the childLine charity, sales of the single, which spent four weeks at No.1 on the UK chart, were over £600,000, all of which was donated to ChildLine .


1982 The Hacienda Club was opened in Manchester


1980 Joe Strummer was arrested at a much-troubled gig in Hamburg, Germany, after smashing his guitar over the head of a member of the audience; he was released after an alcohol test proved negative.


1972 The Doors, Pink Floyd, the Faces, Family, Curved Air, Atomic Rooster, The Kinks, Rory Gallagher, Uriah Heep, Country Joe McDonald, Buddy Miles, Status Quo, Brinsley Schwarz, Spencer Davis, The Strawbs and Humble Pie all appeared at the 2nd British Rock Meeting, Insel Grun, Germersheim, West Germany. The festival was due to take place in Mannheim, West Germany, but after protests from the locals, the concert actually took place in nearby Germersheim.


1972 Marvin Gaye released What's Going On




6 Kommentare:

Khayem hat gesagt…

Happy birthday, Walter, sending best wishes for a great day from sunny England. Another year, but another full of great posts and music, just like this one.

I'll raise a glass to you later...6.45am is a little too early to be hitting the bottle on a work day. All the best!

Ernie Goggins hat gesagt…

Many happy returns Walter. Try not to get hit over the head by a guitar during the course of your celebrations.

Charity Chic hat gesagt…

Will you still need me
Will you still feed me
When I'm 64!
Happy birthday my friend

The Swede hat gesagt…

Many happy returns of the day Walter. Remember, to quote Mick Jones, age is just a number.

Walter hat gesagt…

Thank you a lot my friends.

JC hat gesagt…

I know I wished you happy birthday over on social media, but it seems right to offer a belated one here.

"I think and feel younger than my date of birth tells me." Long may that be the case.