Dienstag, 25. April 2023

I Hate Hate

 


I was surprised when I got the news that Ian Hunter is going to release a new album and I can't say what I expected to happen. For those who don't know him, Hunter was the founder of Mott the Hoople, a British rock band that was quite successful in the early seventies. They were a part of the glam-rock scene but with more keyboards and guitars and very close to David Bowie who owned them his song All The Young Dudes that reached higher places in the charts. Originally I was afraid it was going to be another album that nobody really needed. But Ian surprised me by demonstrating that he is still capable of writing great songs that are reminiscent of the Hearbreakers on the one hand and celebrate classic English songcraft on the other.


Listening to him made me want to step back 50 years and listen to the old songs by Mott The Hoople and I have to admit that they didn't lost it attraction after all these years. And Ian's humor was shown in the credits to Alice, when he called the brass section a Reeperbahn saxophon.

Mott The Hoople - Alice

Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes

3 Kommentare:

Ernie Goggins hat gesagt…

I was misled by the title. I thought you were going to be sharing this blue-eyed soul classic by Razzy Bailey: https://youtu.be/rLiRzr_e3RA

I like the Ian Hunter track, and agree that a lot of his recent solo stuff is much better than you might have feared.

Swiss Adam hat gesagt…

Or the Sound Of Shoom from 1990 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZPn2w8rKE

Walter hat gesagt…

It's new to me Adam but I really like what I heard