Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2020

They Never Came Home

 


In times like these when you should keep distance to people from another household I turn more and more to Netflix during the weekend. And I suppose that we will get a dusk-to-dawn curfew because the numbers of new infected people is still on a high level and many intensive care units around my place are completely occupied. So me and former Mrs. W., who still can't go home to Sri Lanka, watched the series about The Queen and her first 50 years regency a few days ago. She was impressed about the history and immense on the tragedy that happened in Aberfan, South-Wales in 1966 when a colliery spoil tip collapsed into homes and a school, killing 116 children and 28 adults. We discussed a lot about the reasons and agreed that only profit and ignoring public rules made this disaster happen. In this context I remembered another tragedy, happened on Valentines day 1981 in Artane, Dublin when a fire in a nightclub erupted and killed 48 children because the fire escape doors where locked. I love Christy Moore for telling us the story in a wonderful song and all the other folk singers who commented occasions and tragedies in their songs.

Christy Moore - They Never Came Home




 

1 Kommentar:

drew hat gesagt…

Very good Walter.

Stay safe my friend