Dienstag, 24. März 2020

Purchased (Not Only) By The Cover

Bildergebnis für dexys midnight runners searching for the young soul rebels

It was in early 1980 when I first read about a new band from Birmingham that brings back soul music to the punk people and went to my local record shop and asked for the album. The owner showed me the album and I knew: if the songs are as good as the cover I have to buy it. And it was the cover that was very different to many others. The cover, dyed green, shows a photograph of a 13-year-old Irish Catholic boy carrying his belongings after being forced from his home in Belfast, North Ireland because of the civil unrest in 1971. And the record confirmed what the cover promised. A new and great interpretation of classic soul music with a fabulous horn section. I can't count how often I played this record since its release but I never get tired of listening to it. This album also guided me to Northern soul as well to classic soul again. A masterpiece.

Dexys Midnight Runners - Burn It Down
Dexys Midnight Runners - Tell Me When The Light Turns Green
Dexys Midnight Runners - There There My Dear
Dexys Midnight Runners - Seven Days Too Long

Keine Kommentare: