Mittwoch, 25. August 2021

Three One After Another

 


Another three songs that appeared on my mobile phone in a row a few days ago on my way to work. The first one was by The Gun Club's second album Miami from 1982. A long time ago of course but I love this album from the first time I listened to it until now. It was a rough and grounded sound torn between post punk and pre-grunge. Seldom listened to a true sound like this later.

The Gun Club - Texas Serenade

In 1979 The Flying Lizards released their first self titled album, an experimental excursion in new sounds trying to find their own way between pop, experimental and dub. Their legacy will be superb cover versions by Eddie Cochran and Berry Gordy.

The Flying Lizards - Summertime Blues

Polly Scattergood is an English singer/songwriter and released more than one year ago her latest album In This Moment. It is an album I enjoy listening from time to time to her Eighties-tinged pop that could be recorded in David Bowie's Hunky Dory days

Polly Scattergood - The End Was Glorious

1 Kommentar:

Echorich hat gesagt…

The Gun Club, for me was one of the few West Coast Punk + New Wave Scene bands that I paid attention to. Jeffrey Lee Pierce had a certain charisma onstage that got me interested. The Gun Club also made music their way, not to fit into any scene that they might have been associated with. There were elements of Glam and The NY Dolls in those early recordings, but also a twisted sort of LA Blues and Dark Country. I think my favorite track off of Miami is Like Calling Up Thunder.

Polly Scattergood released a new single in June, The Absence Of Light, that is just beautiful.