Samstag, 6. Februar 2021

The Stars We Are

 


A few days ago I read the news that Marc Almond will release an extended version of his 1988 classic The Stars We Are. For this reason I grabbed out my original and played once again after ages. I think I don't have to say much about Marc Almond because most of you will know him, if only for his work with Soft Cell. And I can say that I really enjoyed listening to this once again. The album was high in the charts when it was released and it seems like an almost perfect pop album. Away from the synth-pop of Soft Cell and the cover version he did with Matt Johnson as Marc and the Mambas he added orchestral sounds to his songs that make the songs brighter. This album shows also his talent in songwriting and choosing excellent duet partners. Your Kisses Burn is still a highlight not only because it was one of the last performances by German chanteuse Nico. 

Marc Almond - These My Dreams Are Yours

Marc Almond - Tears Run Rings

Marc Almond - Your Kisses Burn

Marc Almond - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart

1 Kommentar:

Echorich hat gesagt…

I've been along for the ride with Marc Almond for decades now. He has pushed boundaries for a Pop Singer, recording Russian romance songs, the songs of Jacques Brel, Post Modern Classical with John Harle and Jon Tavener, and dark Cabaret. He does nothing half heartedly and probably puts too much of himself in some of his work. But following his career is completely satisfying.