Montag, 6. Juli 2015

Netherlands Greatest?


Next Saturday the day of Herman Brood's death recurs for the 14th time. He was maybe the greatest musician and entertainer from this country. Herman Brood started his career playing with an Dutch underground band Cuby and the Blizzards before he went to jail for dealing LSD. In 1976 he started his second musical career with his band Wild Romance. Known for his excessive hedonistic lifestyle he was one of few artists that lived the real way of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. I was lucky enough to see him live in the late 70s with his energetic show. For me it was I expected by Iggy Pop on stage. And he was the missing link from continental r&b and the upcoming punk era. He was deeply based in classic rock music but had something really different. I can't explain what it was - maybe the way he performed his songs. Mostly high energy forward driving songs with very good arrangements. There are only a few bands from my neighbors that impressed me like him. And when I listen to his songs after decades they feel still raw, fresh and individual.

Herman Brood - Saturday Night
Herman Brood - Love You Like I Love Myself
Herman Brood - Rock and Roll Junkie
Herman Brood - Johnny

And one song he sung shortly before he commit suicide and that was played on his funeral.

Herman Brood - My Way

Keine Kommentare: