Freitag, 12. September 2014

The Foreign Correspondent Returns - Stories About German Rock Music # 38


This series wouldn't be complete if I don't feature one of the well respected German bands worldwide. Kraftwerk is a band that has influenced the music scene with lasting effects and changed as well. The complete history you can read here. I have grown up with the music of the heroes from the 60s and the entrance in their music was not easy. In the early 70s some dope smoking friends introduced me to upcoming electronic music made by German musicians. They introduced me to to early Krautrock and the especially the music of Michael Rother who would become a member of Kraftwerk in their early days. For me Kraftwerk started in 1974 with the release of their album Autobahn. I've never heard a sound like this before. One side of a record just with one song based on a simple melody with a lot of variations. The improvisation I used to know by guitar slingers was transported to electronic sounds. It wasn't a music to be played for masses or on regular radio stations. We played this record for our very own personal delight - mostly late at night. The greatest gift they gave me was open ears for new sounds. And I agree to most of the critics that they had a heavy influence to electronic music as we know it.

Kraftwerk - Trans Europa Express
Kraftwerk - The Model



Keine Kommentare: