Freitag, 24. Januar 2014

The Foreign Correspondent - Stories About German Rock Music # 16


The last week I have a contribution in this series posted which has concerned psychedelic music in the farthest sense. Today I am back on earth again with a musician that I love all over the years. He started with an album full of reggae track and explicit political lyrics to turn a few years later into the funk and soul scene. Jan Delay is a German singer, songwriter and producer whose stylistic range includes mainly hip hop, reggae, dub and funk. He started with a band called Absolute Beginner. I first recognized him with his first record by his own name in 2001. His record Searching for the Jan soul rebels was tribute to Dexy's Midnight Runners first record with a similar title. When I have heard the album the first time I was simply overpowered, because I would not have thought that a German musician can have such a feeling for reggae and dub. Not only that he created his own style in music he wrote some lyrics that impressed me as well. I could agree to this left-wing influenced statements until now.

Jan Delay - Irgenwo, Irgenwie, Irgenwann
Jan Delay - Ich möchte nicht, dass ihr meine Lieder singt
Jan Delay - Vergifted

After this record it was very quiet about him, although he played several big open air festivals in Germany throughout the years. He came back with a totally different style. Also singing through his nose the way Bob Dylan used to do it his whole life he returned with a new sound. Changing from reggae and dub into funk and soul. With his record Mercedes Dance he entered the charts again and it was a high recommended record in this kind of music. But if you would ask me, which kind of Jan Delay I like most you would get the answer: I like more his reggae style than  his funky style.




Enjoy and have a good weekend where ever you are.






3 Kommentare:

lithium hat gesagt…

let me introduce you to the new Jan Delay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQ4qCDs7r8

Drum sag ich Tschüss ihr Spacken, ich muss jetzt weg, ich muss nach Wacken

Walter hat gesagt…

Yep, a real NEW Jan Delay. Great videa and a nice trip to heavy metal, but I like his older ones better. Thanks Martin.

Walter hat gesagt…

Yep, a real NEW Jan Delay. Great video and a nice trip to heavy metal, but I like his older ones better. Thanks Martin.