Freitag, 22. November 2013

The Foreign Correspondent - Stories about German Rock Music # 9



My first intention to this series was to write about some German rock music. After the last weeks I had to recognize that there was more than rock music I should write about. I took the way across the border to feature Stefan Eicher and I did also feature Seeed, which are very close to danceable sounds. And there is no reason not to feature a German musician with deep roots in classical jazz. 

Till Brönner is a jazz trompet player, singer, composer, arranger and producer. After he studied jazz trumpet he played in several Big Bands and became more and more famous. He feels well in a lot of styles in jazz. His approach is influenced by bebop and fusion jazz, but also modern pop music, movie soundtracks, country music and even German pop songs. His trumpet playing is primarily inspired be the giants of jazz like Dizzy Gillespie, Chet Baker and Freddie Hubbard. It's hard to pick out some songs from a great output of records but I think his collaboration with South American and Brazilian musicians are the best ones to step inside his kind of music. I love this album best because he works together with such great guest vocalist like Annie Lennox, Melody Gardot, Aimee Mann and Sergio Mendes. So give him a little chance - maybe play it later in the evening.



Keine Kommentare: