Montag, 26. August 2024

Monday's Long Song

 


At the beginning of the 80's, the concert scene in my neighbourhood was completely different. Almost every week, a different band from the new wave scene played in Stuttgart and the surrounding area and I was spoilt for choice as to which concert I should go to. This changed fundamentally about 15 years ago, when taxes and regulations made it almost impossible for promoters to hire young up-and-coming bands from abroad for a reasonable profit. 

With this in mind, I still think back to that time when I listen to records from that era. In the spring of 1983, I was able to see Big Country in a small club when they presented their debut album The Crossing live. The concert was fantastic and Stuart Adamson created their unmistakable sound somewhere between folk, new wave and bagpipes with his guitar.

When I went to the bar during the concert to buy another beer, I met a work colleague who invited me to join him and his friends in the lounge. Without further ado, I decided to accept his offer without knowing who I was going to meet. Several musicians and representatives of their record company were sitting at the table and I was introduced to Peter Schilling (yes - Major Tom). A nice guy who was great to talk to. 

After the concert, as I was about to head home, the band joined us at our table and I had the chance to have a little chat with Adamson in my broken English. He was very friendly, but also very reserved and rather shy and there was no sign of the demons that would eventually cost him his life. 

Big Country - Porrohman

2 Kommentare:

Charity Chic hat gesagt…

A great story Walter
Brian will be so jealous!

JC hat gesagt…

I also was lucky enough to see Big Country play at a small venue at the beginning of their career - the Student Union of Strathclyde University - and they were excellent. You're so correct about Stuart Adamson being a quiet and reserved person....the tragedy being that very few people knew that he was suffering from mental health issues most of his adult life.