Montag, 19. August 2024

Monday's Long Song

 



Last week JC featured Quando Quango over at The (new) Vinyl Villain and I asked myself where I had something from them in my collection. After a longer time of searching I found in the furthest corner of my collection a CD from 2008. Disco Not Disco is a collection of post-punk/new wave disco tracks all of them now classics in this genre. In the late 70's no wave established in New York on ZE-Label. They tried in the tradition of new wave to create their own vision of dancefloor. On of the label's leading acts were James White and the Blacks. Their first album Off White and later Buy arrived a few years later in our record shops in Germany and me and some friends were fascinated from this funk and groove with a crazy saxophone and played it often when we were DJing in our local pub. Contort Yourself was in the original a faster played one and they thought it wouldn't work on the floor. So their label-mate August Darnell, who later worked together with Kid Creole, reworked this song. This version is still a classic of this music as well as most of the other songs on this compilation.

James White and the Blacks - Contort Yourself (August Darnell Remix)

1 Kommentar:

Ernie Goggins hat gesagt…

'Disco Not Disco' is a great compilation