Mittwoch, 12. April 2017

Searching For The Perfect Pop Song

Bildergebnis für future islands

Back on the blog after a short time of abstraction. There were different things that kept me away from my computer and writing on this blog. For example my mother got 90 years a week ago and we celebrated her birthday last Saturday. Then there was a three games week in Germany's second league where I had to join the games on Sunday around lunch time. And finally I got a bad cold the recent days that kept me staying in bed. After all I think I left these things behind and looking forward to brighter days.

While reading the news that David Letterman is celebrating his 70th birthday I remember the first time Future Islands came to my attention when they appeared on his late-night show. After watching Seasons I asked myself what happened here. There was a singer moving like a beat-up Elvis and singing in a way that doesn't fit to the sound. It seemed like they were falling in a musical pot of new wave and adapting the sound of new romantics. To the surprise - it worked fine and a medical hype was born and their record Singles was rightly one of the best records in 2014.


Now they are back with their new album The Far Field and it is on the same level as the last one. Now with some borrowed sounds by New Order and Flock Of Seagulls. All in all a pop record that will probably accompany me during this summer

4 Kommentare:

TheRobster hat gesagt…

A belated Happy Birthday to Mama Walter. That is an impressive age - I salute her!

The Swede hat gesagt…

Happy birthday to your Mother Walter and I hope you're feeling better. Good to have you back! 'Seasons' on Letterman will go down as a great TV moment.

Echorich hat gesagt…

Happy Birthday to you Mother Walter! And I hope the Season's changes don't keep you down too long.
Singles was on my radar before the Letterman performance, but as The Swede has said, a great TV moment was witnessed by anyone who saw it that night. It was actually Doves, from the album, that was my go to son by Future Islands in 2014. It's a smoldering, 80s infected song, especially in the Vince Clark remix. On their new album, The Far Field it's Ancient Water that's gotten the most attention from me. There's some very Peter Hook influenced bass on that one.

Anonym hat gesagt…

A belated happy birthday to your Mother! That is a very impressive age and I hope the celebrations were memorable.

I will not comment on today's music....except to say I did once blog that I did not understand what all the fuss was about!!!