Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Bildergebnis für barry adamson

Surely everyone knows the situation when you listen to music from your hard-drive and suddenly a song appears and you think for how long I didn't listen to this one. This deja vu happened to me yesterday on the way to the office. It was Barry Adamson with Something Wicked This Way Comes from his 1996 album Oedipus Schmoedipus a record I used to listen often at this time. It is a record that is very underrated maybe because you can't categorize this kind of music. The music is more like a soundtrack and many people didn't know how to handle this Miles Davis influenced jazz lounge sound. Since his first days with Magazine I loved the way he played the bass. He was also the one who stamped the sound of Birthday Party and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Because I couldn't get him out of my mind I selected his music on Spotify and had a good start into work accompanied with his music.

Barry Adamson - Something Wicked This Way Comes

His latest full length album features all his abilities in music and it is a kaleidoscope of all his musical influences from rock to folk to jazz. Even string arrangements are possible.



And finally a superb collaboration with Nick Cave:


1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Barry Adamson is, as you say, a legend whose body of work over the years has covered just about every type of music known to man (and woman).

I love that Nick Cave contribution to that 1996 album. A real hidden gem of a song.

JC