Montag, 18. Februar 2019

Monday's Long Song

Bildergebnis für tortoise band

More than 20 years ago Tortoise released their second album Millions Now Living Will Never Die. I saw them first in 1995 supporting Eleventh Dream Day and was electrified by their sound. Never heard a band before using three drums, two basses and not singing a word. This experience made me follow them during the years. Many call their first album or TNT as their best but for me it was MNLWND just because of it's opening song Djed a perfect combination of Krautrock, dub, minimalism and electronic music. Can , Neu! and PIL could be proud of this distillation of their sound

Tortoise - Djed

3 Kommentare:

drew hat gesagt…

Tune! This was also on my list Walter

The Swede hat gesagt…

Superb Walter, just superb. I think we may have discussed our mutual love of early Tortoise before. This is a great choice.

Brian hat gesagt…

Tortoise was the shit when I was living in Chicago in the early '90s. I may have ended up going for sister band the Sea and Cake even more.