Montag, 4. Februar 2019

Monday's Long Song

Bildergebnis für dr. john

Today's song is by Dr. John from his third album Remedies from 1970. Angola'Anthem takes the whole side two of the record and one that impressed me much the first time I listened to this song. It was in the mid 70's in a club in my hometown. This club was frequented by a lot of American GI's which was based a few miles away and the music that was played was straightened to them. You could hear a lot of black music that was all new to our ears. James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone were also played like Little Feat and Frank Zappa. But less songs were burnt more inside my mind like Angola Anthem. I was fascinated by this combination of wild Afro drumming, the voodoo-based voice of Dr. John and the superb guitar parts. And it lost nothing of its fascination to me after all these years.

Dr. John - Angola Anthem

4 Kommentare:

The Swede hat gesagt…

Haha! Well done Walter, this was going to appear over at my place next Monday - you beat me to it by one week! A marvellous piece of music.

Walter hat gesagt…

Sorry Swede, that was not my aim but I agree to your comment to a marvellous piece of music that should be known by many persons.

The Swede hat gesagt…

No problem at all Walter, in fact I'm surprised that it hasn't happened sooner! Keep the great tunes coming my friend.

Walter hat gesagt…

Thanks my friend. For next week I am planing Hawkwind with You Shouldn't Do This, another great and forgotten tune from the 70's. Hope you won't post it before me. Stay well.
xx