Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2016

Old Vine In New Bottles

Bildergebnis für hendrix und joplin

Today in the series two songs that are almost 50 years old and which was recorded when most of us played football with the kids next door on the street. Bob Dylan was always an artist whose songs were covered during the last decades. But Jimi Hendrix' version of All Along The Watchtower I've first recognized when I was at the cinema. In the 70's it was usual to show us some supporting movies before the main movie started. Most of them were very arty and we sat there waiting until the movie started. Some were inspiring others not. But I remember one afternoon when me and my mates went to see the latest Bruce Lee move and we sat down in our chairs and then no supporting movie started. Instead then they showed us a live version of this song with Jimi at the guitar. For me it was an epiphany to listen to this rough, clear and inspired sound. The movie was out of date and I felt for this sound. The next day I went to my local record shop to get me the first records. I still listen from time to time to his music. And I think that this version is much better than Bob Dylan's original.



As I told you some month ago I recognized Kris Kristofferson by his first movie Cisco Kid in the late 70's and from this time I was addicted to country-sized singer/songwriters. Me and Bobby McGee was a hymn to my generation and freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose was the slogan for us. For sure it is a song from the hippies but this could be also the slogan for every punk in the late 70's/early 80's.


2 Kommentare:

The Swede hat gesagt…

Dylan liked Hendrix's version so much that he's played it Jimi's way pretty much ever since.

Walter hat gesagt…

I heard about this but I didn't want to name it this post. Anyway, a great version of a classic song, Swede.