Montag, 12. Juni 2023

Monday's Long Song

 


Last week Dream The Dream a compilation of early UK Techno, House and backbeat curated by Richard Sen was released. The only band I knew on this sampler was Strontium 90, a short lived band in the late 70s formed by former member of French progressive band Gong N`Mike Howlett. Together with Sting and Stewart Copeland it was the pre-Police. Listening to this song I think it has nothing in common with those band because the rhythm based sound, the lyrics and the tribal led structures were untypical for them. Further investigations for this band brought me always back to the same result. It is a song that I can't get out of my mind and if anyone has more information about the band I was happy when you let me know. Have a good summer week.

Strontium 90 - Rave On The Congo

1 Kommentar:

Khayem hat gesagt…

A great track and what looks to be a great compilation, though with Richard Sen curating, perhaps no surprise. Bandulu, As One and Mind Over Rhythm were all favourites for me in the early to mid 1990s.

This Strontium 90 was a core duo of Sheridan Cross and Julie Anne Paull, partners in life as well as music. Sheridan aka Shez was previously a member of Hey! Elastica in the early 80s. Strontium 90 had a handful of 12" releases between 1989 and 1991. The pair are also behind the Biff'um Baff'um Boys track on Dream The Dream.

Sadly, on 2nd June, Julie Anne Paull posted on social media that Sheridan had passed away.