Sonntag, 11. Juni 2023

The Friends We Lost

 


Last night I watched the Champions League final between Manchester City and Internationale Milan. To my delight, although I am not a City supporter, the Italian team lost, because it would annoy me if a style of play that is only out to destroy were victorious. During the game I had to think several times of one of the best players in the Premier League from the past 30 years. Eric Cantona played for Manchester United in the early 90s and it was always great to see him play. After his professional career ended, he turned to acting and made his mark in several French films. Now he's back with a debut single that was released last week. A self-penned ballad with guitar, piano and strings. A tribute to people important to him who are no longer with us. I didn't expect Cantona to follow in the footsteps of Nick Cave. Chapeau.



2 Kommentare:

Khayem hat gesagt…

I heard it for the first time the other day and my immediate reaction wasn't positive. It's grown on me more since but I'm as yet undecided whether it's pretentious or profound.

I've got to admire Eric's fearless pursuit of his interests though, he's achieved a darn sight more than I have in a similar number of years on this planet!

Swiss Adam hat gesagt…

I love Eric. The song is decent enough, a bit in debt to Serge but miles better than should be expected from a footballer and as Khayem says, he's fearless in what he does.

I can't be happy about City winning the Champions League though.