Mittwoch, 21. November 2018

Stay Away

Bildergebnis für charles bradley

More than 10 years ago Amy Winehouse went to Brooklyn to record her famous album Back To Black. In these days Charles Bradley worked in the small studio as a housekeeper, repairing everything that have to be done. At the age of 62 he released his first album No Time For Dreaming in 2011. In his younger days his sister took him to a gig to the Apollo Theater to see James Brown perform. From this time he was infected by the old soul music and it took almost 50 years to release his first record. I heard a few songs from him during the last years and they all were very soulful but they weren't burn in my brain. A few days back I got the news that a new record was release after he died by cancer last year. Listening to his songs on Black Velvet  I can hear what great artist he was. He brought me back to the real soul singers of the 60's and 70's. Many soul singers tried to cover rock and folk songs but I never heard better versions of songs by Nirvana and Neil Young in this style and ask myself what bright career he could have when he released this song 50 years ago.


1 Kommentar:

Brian hat gesagt…

Big fan of Charles Bradley. I was pleased to see that the label and family were able to put together one last album of odds and ends. He will be missed.