Dienstag, 26. September 2017

The Return Of A Giant

Bildergebnis für marc almond

There are only a few voices during the last decades that I could listen to to mostly every time and made a relaxed feeling to me. One was Kevin Rowland and the other was Marc Almond. Both were the ones that made me feel like every word of suffering came true out of their mouth. I always listened to him from the early days of Soft Cell until now. And I have to say I am pleased that he released a new album after long time. It is a record filled with classic songs from the last 30 years. He covered them in his very unique sound and arranged with strings and sometimes horns. Based on the Bacharach sound it is a record that is timeless and I am sure this record will be played at my place often. It shows all the quality Marc has as a crooner. Never thought that anyone could make a cover of Still I'm Sad by The Yardbirds. It is like a journey back in the early 60's when great vocalists were the next big thing. Of course totally retro but if you're in the mood for this, I am sure you can enjoy this.

Marc Almond - Still I'm Sad
Marc Almond - How Can I Be Sure
Marc Almond - I Know You Love Me Not

4 Kommentare:

Echorich hat gesagt…

Some great words Walter! I feel much the same about Marc Almond, his life and his music have been something I have followed since the first time I heard Soft Cell's Memorabilia. Almond has a wonderful understanding of emotion in his music. He is also a curious musical artist. Brel and Bacharach feature as much as contemporary song cycles and experimental song during his enduring career. But you just have to take a look at 2015's The Velvet Trail to see what an accomplished Pop Music artist he is.
The latest album is a pop crooner's delight. His take on How Can I Be Sure is mesmerizing. Still I'm Sad is the sound of a toreador entering the bull ring ready to give his life to the bull, or a couple speeding off a cliffside roadway into the sea.
I agree that Shadows And Reflections begins as a retro journey, but Marc manages to bring these songs to contemporary light.

Walter hat gesagt…

Thank you Echorich - I will investigate this record as soon as possible

The Swede hat gesagt…

Echorich is right, his performance of 'How Can I Be Sure' is a very good indeed.
Marc Almond was interviewed about the new LP (and other things) on the radio recently. The interview starts about an hour and 35 minutes into the show. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094n732

Brian hat gesagt…

Have had my eye on the new one. All this talk has me leaning ever closer to opening the wallet. Almond is quite a talent.