Montag, 10. Juli 2017

New York

Bildergebnis für lou reed new york lyrics

I'm sure that amongst all of your albums in your collection there are a few that are timeless and you grab them from time to time to listen with joy. Lou Reed's album New York from 1989 is one of them. I put this record on my turntable last week and was surprised that it didn't lost anything of fascination from almost 30 years ago. It was the first record after Blue Mask that was important in his later career. Not only for the music where he's going back to his roots of classic song tradition. He had a band that could play the classic rock and roll as well as songs with just picked guitar licks. More important for me was what Lou Reed had to say. It is a mosaic of what happened in New York these days and what was necessary to be changed. Although he points his finger on what went wrong it is not bearish and  the songs have an optimistic tone. It is amazing, listening to lyrics like these where he named America's torture probably the first time in a song:


They ordained the Trumps and then he got the mumps
And died being treated at Mt. Sinai
And my best friend Bill died from a poison pill
Some wired doctor prescribed for stress

Lou Reed - Romeo Had Juliette
Lou Reed - Halloween Parade
Lou Reed -There Is No Time
Lou Reed - I'm Sick Of You
Lou Reed - Hold On

3 Kommentare:

TheRobster hat gesagt…

An absolute classic, Walter. One of my fave Lou albums, but I think that's true for most Lou Reed fans.

The Swede hat gesagt…

A masterpiece.

Swiss Adam hat gesagt…

I put this on again recently, its very good.