Mittwoch, 6. März 2024

Pacific Ocean Blue

 


I have to admit that I have been a fan of the Beach Boys and I like many of their 60's pop songs with their great harmonies but I don't own more than a best-of compilation. But I love Dennis Wilson's first and only solo album Pacific Ocean Blue. Dennis was the only one in the band that could be called as a real surfer and therefore it is consequent that he died by diving in the harbor in California. He was the drummer when the Beach Boys played live and his life was anything but straightforward. Haunted by demons he joined Manson's family and his life was full of drug abuses. In 1977 he released his album where he played most of the instruments. I think it was his only and last chance to get back into 'normal' life. And he made a masterpiece. Filled with great songs about love, loss and sometimes the chance of a brighter future it seems like a sentimental one. And yes, it is sentimental and has a somber tone but it is true and an album I return constantly.

Dennis Wilson - Dreamer

Dennis Wilson - River Song

Dennis Wilson - Farewell My Friend

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blues

1 Kommentar:

Khayem hat gesagt…

A great example of an album that I might have passed by completely had it not been for reading about it in the music press. That would have been my loss. Thanks for sharing these songs, Walter.