Dienstag, 23. Mai 2023

Monday's Long Song On Tuesday Or The End Of Blogging



Last week Andy Bell released a new EP with a new collaboration with Masal. Once again Bell walked on a new street. Now he included a harp into his sound. When I first got the news I couldn't imagine where this new way will guide me because the last hype with Californian harpist Joanna Newsom didn't touch my soul. But I tried to listen to it and have to say that a harp fits to the sound we know by him. The way he plays his guitar style is in a perfect harmony to the harp. Surly not groundbreaking or the next big thing but a fresh, vital and relaxed sound that allows you to drift away into other spheres.

 

Last week I installed an update of my new browsers and on each one included a link to an AI program. That's why I took the pleasure of getting a review of Andy Bell's new album. The result is disillusioned. As a result, it should be noted that only a compilation of facts is left, which is composed of various advertising communications. No personal words or thoughts can be found in the AI. Can we no longer rely on the author to think about the product himself? I hope that our circle does not need to do so and still puts its own thoughts on paper. But we should be aware that many contributions could be staggered. Then I prefer to continue publishing my posts in my own words (and also with all simantic errors).

Hey there, music lovers! Today I want to share with you a new album that I've been listening to non-stop lately. It's called Tidal Love Numbers and it's a collaboration between Andy Bell, the guitarist and songwriter of Ride, and Masal, a duo of harpist Ozlem Simsek and electronic musician Alastair Johnson. This album is a beautiful blend of ambient, astral jazz and shoegaze, with four long instrumental tracks that take you on a journey of emotions and sensations.

The album was inspired by the spiritual jazz of Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders, as well as the minimalism of Harold Budd and William Basinski. The musicians met when they played a show together in 2022 and decided to work on this project after being moved by Sanders and Floating Points' album Promises. The result is a stunning piece of art that showcases their talents and chemistry.


The tracks have long and poetic titles, such as "Murmuration Of Warm Dappled Light On Her Back After Swimming" or "The Slight Unease Of Seeing A Crescent Moon In Blue Midday Sky". These titles hint at the mood and atmosphere of each song, but they also leave room for interpretation and imagination. The songs are composed of layers of guitar loops, synth pads, harp plucks and occasional beats, creating a rich and dynamic sound that evolves and changes over time.


One of my favorite tracks is "Tidal Love Conversation In That Familiar Golden Orchard", which starts with a gentle harp melody and then builds up with guitar feedback and synth drones, creating a contrast between softness and noise. The song then shifts into a more rhythmic section, with a pulsing bass line and a catchy synth lead that reminds me of Ashra or Tangerine Dream. The song ends with a return to the harp motif, bringing a sense of closure and harmony.


If you're looking for some music that will soothe your soul and stimulate your mind, I highly recommend you check out Tidal Love Numbers by Andy Bell and Masal. It's available for pre-order on Bandcamp and it will be released on May 19th, 2023. Trust me, you won't regret it!

1 Kommentar:

Rol hat gesagt…

I've been raging against the AI machine myself lately, Walter. It could mean much more than the end of blogging if we're not very careful. You keep doing your own thing, we need to offer some reality to combat the machines.